The New Parkway Theater is a community-centered cinema and pub located in Oakland’s Uptown district. Sit back and relax in our cozy couches while watching our new releases, cult classics, and fabulous special programming. Plus, enjoy yummy food and local beer and wine in our café or even delivered right to your theater seat, all at affordable prices!
The New Parkway Theater’s mix of on-screen content includes critically acclaimed new films, throwback favorites, and quirky non-film events. We have regular theme nights with vibrant hosts who help to make your experience at the New Parkway an unforgettable one.
The New Parkway offers two screening rooms filled with loveseats, reclaimed vintage chairs, and other unique seating perfect for dates, group outings, and solo trips to the movies. Both of our auditoriums and all of our common areas are ADA accessible, and we hope that all will feel welcome and comfortable at the New Parkway.
The café menu includes not only typical pub fare, but a selection of entrees, appetizers, and treats to delight omnivores, vegetarians, vegans, and gluten-free folks alike. The drink selection is expansive, and all beer and wine is sourced from within 200 miles. We also now have a simple tap cocktail program.
We pride ourselves on having a pretty amazing staff and hope that you agree. In addition to paying all of our staff a living wage, we participate in profit sharing, and we also go out of our way to offer employment to young people, single parents, ex-convicts, and to other candidates who might find difficulty getting work in other places.
Additionally, the New Parkway is quite possibly the greenest movie theater in the world. With nearly everything being reusable, we strive to produce as little waste as possible and implore you to not order more than you can consume.
Being accessible to and inclusive of various Oakland communities is an important tenet of the New Parkway Theater. The New Parkway’s commitment to community is evident in our Karma Cinema program: every Wednesday, patrons pay whatever they want for their movie tickets, and at the end of the month, 20% of Karma Cinema ticket sales are donated to the New Parkway’s community partner, a non-profit group that serves Oakland residents.
The New Parkway Theater is a mission-driven, community-based business which strives for excellence in all that we do, specifically in the following five areas:
- We strive to give our patrons a high quality movie-going experience that is unique from most other movie-going experiences.
- We strive to be a wonderful place to work, where employees are excited to come to work, are treated fairly, and share in the profits of the business.
- We strive to be a truly sustainable business, one that puts people and the planet over profit, and that considers the long-term health of our patrons and our neighbors as we shape our business practices.
- We strive to promote community within the theater and beyond by connecting strangers who might not otherwise meet and by encouraging greater learning and understanding through our diverse offerings.
- We strive to be accessible and welcoming to everyone in Oakland and beyond, through being affordable and by offering programming that appeals to a cross-section of all residents.